At 08h30 (Lisbon time) on 18 May, an Informal Meeting of European Union (EU) Ministers responsible for Cohesion Policy will take place. Chaired by the Portuguese Minister for Planning, Nelson de Souza, under the auspices of the Portuguese Presidency of the Council of the EU, the meeting will also be attended by the European Commissioner for Cohesion and Reforms, Elisa Ferreira.
During the video conference, the Ministers will focus on the Cohesion Policy and analyse ways of maximising synergies and complementarities with the National Recovery and Resilience Plans at an operational level. One of the goals of the Portuguese Presidency of the Council of the EU is to find ways of coordinating these two Community instruments, which help to strengthen the economic, social and territorial cohesion of Europe.
The Ministers of the 27 will also seek to boost the strategy driving delivery of the following Cohesion Policy priorities within the 2021/2027 framework:
- A smarter Europe, through innovation, digitalisation, economic transformation and support for small and medium-sized enterprises.
- A greener, carbon-free Europe, implementing the Paris Agreement and investing in the energy transition, renewables and the fight against climate change.
- A more connected Europe, with strategic digital and transport networks.
- A more social Europe, delivering on the European Pillar of Social Rights and supporting quality employment, education, skills, social inclusion and equal access to healthcare.
- A Europe closer to citizens, by supporting locally-led development strategies and sustainable urban development across the EU.
At 11h30 (Lisbon time) a joint press conference is scheduled with the Portuguese Minister for Planning, Nelson de Souza, and the European Commissioner for Cohesion and Reforms, Elisa Ferreira. You can follow the press conference live on the Portuguese Presidency's social networks: Twitter and Facebook.